To highlight the importance of Gas Safety Week (14th – 20th September) we will be sharing top tips on social media to raise awareness about gas safety and how to keep you and your community safe.
Gas Safety Week is now in its tenth year and to highlight the importance of gas safety within our homes, a video has been made to tell the story of what happens on Gale Close when a gas explosion rips through a terraced house with devastating consequences.
There are around 60 deaths each year in England due to carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a gas that cannot be seen, tasted or smelt and can be released from faulty gas appliances. Community Gateway is required by law to carry out an inspection of gas appliances and pipework in your home once a year to make sure that your home is safe for you and your family. During the COVID-19 outbreak, the Government has not relaxed this legal requirement, so we have continued with our programme of servicing, closely following Government guidance. When your gas safety check is due, we will contact you to make an appointment for one of our qualified GasSafe registered engineers to attend.
If you ever smell gas in your home, you need to:
- Put out any cigarettes or other naked flames
- Turn off the appliance at the valve and main gas tap at your meter
- Open doors and windows to let the gas escape
- Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
If you want to find out more about what our gas safety process includes, please check our Gas Servicing leaflet.