Noise Nuisance


We understand that noise nuisance can be very distressing.

We aim to use all the tools available to solve the problem and work closely with other agencies such as Preston City Council, Environmental Health Department and the Police.

No property is completely soundproof, so you will always hear a certain amount of noise from your neighbours.

However, it’s important to understand the difference between expected noise, such as children playing, household appliances, doors opening and closing and inconsiderate noise, such as constant loud music late at night or persistent shouting. 

How to report noise nuisance

We investigate noise nuisance in line with anti-social behaviour complaints. When we receive a complaint, we will send out a noise pack which includes: a acknowledgement letter, consent form, noise nuisance diary and a leaflet, we will then investigate as appropriate.

You can report noise nuisance to us using any of the following methods. 

Further information on noise nuisance can be found on the  Preston City Council website.

Noise reporting app

Helping Tackle Noise Nuisance

At CGA, we understand that noise nuisance can be very distressing. No home is completely soundproof, so you’ll always hear a certain amount of noise from your neighbours.  We can help you when expected noise becomes inconsiderate.

In addition to noise nuisance diary sheets, we’re pleased to let you know that we have a new version of our Noise App to help us gather evidence in cases of noise nuisance.  If you're having any problems with the previous version of the app, please get in touch and let us know.

The app, which is available through our Tenancy Services team, will record noise nuisance happening in real time to back up any complaints of this kind. The app also allows you to add the type of noise, the location, how severe you’re finding the noise and any additional information you’d like to add.

If you’d like to find out more, please get in touch with the team on or call 0800 9530213 (option 5).