Universal Credit

universal credit

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you are getting any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:

You will stop getting the above payments when you or your partner claim Universal Credit. If you or your partner gets Pension Credit, this will also stop if one of you claims Universal Credit.

If you are unsure whether you should make a claim for Universal Credit or not, please contact our Tenancy Support team on 0800 953 0213 (option 4) who will be happy to cary out a benefit check for you.

If you are not currently in receipt of benefits

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you are on a low income or need help with your living costs. You could be:

  • out of work
  • working (including self-employed or part-time)
  • unable to work, for example because of a health condition

To claim you must:

  • live in the UK
  • be aged 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you are 16/17)
  • be under State Pension Age

You can use a benefits calculator to check what benefits you could get or you can call our Tenancy Support team on 0800 953 0213 (option 4) for a free benefit check.


Further information

For further information and advice on Universal Credit visit: