What you need permission for

tulketh If you wish to do anything that changes the structure of the property permanently, then you must get permission.

Here are a few examples of things you need permission for:

  • Plastering internal walls
  • Changing/removing the lounge fire
  • Adding additional kitchen units or cutting counter tops
  • Changing/removing internal doors
  • Tiling the floors
  • Installing your own bathroom
  • Fitting a cat flap
  • Installing a water meter
  • Conservatories, extensions and structures


You must not do anything which involves touching the electrics or gas supply in the property.

If you have been notified that there are Asbestos Containing Materials present in your home, you should never carry out any work that involves removing, drilling, sawing, sanding or cutting into Asbestos Containing Materials, as this may release fibres into the air. If you think you may have Asbestos Containing Materials in your home, get in touch with our Property Investment Team on 0800 953 0213


steeple You must also ask permission if you wish to make changes to the outside of your home, for example:

  • Putting up fencing
  • Planting, removing or pruning any trees
  • Putting up a shed, storage unit or structure
  • Putting in a patio or decking area
  • Installing a driveway or parking space
  • Putting in an outdoor tap