Frequently Asked Questions


Check out our frequently asked questions about our services. If you have any other queries, please call us on 0800 953 0213.

How can I swap homes with another tenant?

You can swap homes with a tenant of a housing association or a tenant of another council. You can apply or search online for a Mutual Exchange by using the property search on Select Move ( and selecting mutual exchange.

Once you have found someone to exchange with we will come to visit you at your property to check you are eligible to apply for mutual exchange. Unfortunately if you have rent arrears, cause anti-social behaviour or have made any alterations to your property without permission, you will not be able to apply.

If you need any further help applying for a Mutual Exchange give us a call on 0800 953 0213

For more information and to apply, view and fill out our mutual exchange leaflet below:

Swapping Your Home Leaflet

What alterations can I make to my home?

If you want to do any alterations that changes the structure of the property permanently, then you must get permission first. To ask permission call on 0800 953 0213 to arrange an inspection to understand the nature of the work you would like to do and then we’ll write to you with a decision.

You must not do anything which involves touching the electrics or gas supply in the property. You must also consider the possibility of asbestos containing materials being present before starting work. If you have any concerns about asbestos containing materials in your home, please contact our Property Investment Team on 0800 953 0213

A member of my family has died. Will their tenancy pass to me?

This depends on your relationship to that person, how long you've lived with them and whether the tenancy has been passed on before. Please get in touch with our  Customer Service team  to discuss further.

What repairs are CGA responsible for?

CGA is responsible for:

  • The structure, outside and shared parts of your home
  • Installations for supplying water, gas and electricity and disposing of sanitation and waste
  • Heating and hot water installations
  • Shared areas inside and outside properties owned by CGA

As a tenant you are responsible for:

  • Taking good care of your home and your garden
  • Reporting repairs and faults to us immediately (including repairs to communal areas)
  • Anything that belongs to you
  • Internal decorations and minor cracks
  • Accidental damage
  • Taking precautions against frost damage and frozen pipes
  • Fitting appliances safely (for gas appliances by a qualified Gas Safe engineer installer).

Will my furniture and belongings be insured?

No as a tenant you must insure your own belongings. CGA has negotiated a low cost home contents insurance policy with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc with cover starting from as little as £0.57 per week. The scheme offers two levels of cover, with a choice of optional extras, and you can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or annually.

If you are interested in taking out a policy you can download an application here or under “Your money” on our website. If you require help completing the application a member of the team will be happy to visit you in your home, contact the Tenancy Support Team on 0800 953 0213

How do I become a CGA tenant?

Select Move

Community Gateway Association (CGA) is part of the Select Move partnership which is a lettings service provided by a number of Local Authorities and Housing Associations that cover the areas of Preston, South Ribble and Chorley. There is a Select Move Common Allocations Policy and Housing Register so all applicants should be assessed in the same way no matter which of the partners you register with.

Step 1 – Go to and complete the application form to register.

Step 2 – Your application will be assessed, and we will contact you to advise what documents are required to progress with your application.

Step 3 – Once we have assessed your application you will be given a band depending on your housing need.

Step 4 – You can now apply for properties. Properties are advertised on the Select Move website. Homes can be added to the site everyday (Monday to Friday) and will be advertised for 5 days.

Step 5 – If you are successful, we will contact you and you may be required to complete a financial assessment. Properties are offered depending on the priority band they are advertised to, the size of the property and the waiting time of the applicants who have applied.


My Home Choice

To apply for a CGA property in Blackpool you will need to register with My Home Choice. My Home Choice is a partnership of Housing Associations covering Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde. For more information please visit Please note CGA currently only have a small number of properties in the Blackpool area.