Advice and Guidance
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms.
If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), get a test as soon as possible. Stay at home until you get the result.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often especially after coughing, sneezing or going to the toilet – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell, or have a respiratory illness and avoid using their personal items such as a mobile phone.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
These simple steps can help reduce the possible spread of infection.
Community Gateway do not take the course of eviction lightly. As an organisation we offer a comprehensive support package to all our customers to help them sustain their tenancy – last year for example we helped our customers claim an additional £4m plus in benefits they were entitled to - and only consider possession action as a last resort when all other avenues have been explored and exhausted.
We are working closely with tenants to help them manage their housing costs and ensure they get access to the benefits they are entitled to. We urge anyone who is worried about financial difficulties to get in touch with us. We offer extensive financial help and support for tenants, including help claiming benefits and we are putting in additional measures during this challenging time and will be doing everything we can to support you.
Wherever possible, we encourage tenants to pay a little extra each week – this may prevent you from falling into arrears if your situation changes over the coming weeks/months.
As usual, we will continue to work with our tenants offering support and advice around your personal circumstances to assist you through this difficult time. However, we can only do this if you speak to us.
We urge any tenants who are struggling, to contact us on 0800 953 0213 as soon as possible to discuss their situation.
Help and Advice - Useful Links
For NHS advice please visit www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19
For advice on benefits please visit www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk
For travel advice please visit www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus