skip to main content

Welcome to Community Gateway

Rent Arrears

It is your responsibility to make sure your rent and any associated charges are paid on time. If you fall into rent arrears we will have to take action to recover the debt; this could result in you losing your home.

If you fall behind with your rent, or are struggling to pay it is important you contact us straight away on 0800 953 0213. CGA has specialist staff who can check you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to, and offer help and support taking into account your financial circumstances.

Don’t lose your home to debt…
If you are in arrears, CGA want to assist you, but can only do this if you get in touch with us. Rent arrears will not go away. The longer you ignore your debts, the worse the problem will get.

If you are in arrears and do not respond to our requests for contact, we will have no alternative choice, but to serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This is the first stage in the legal process to evict you from your home.

If the arrears haven't been cleared or a repayment plan agreed 28 days later, CGA will apply to the County Court to repossess your home.

If you want a free benefit health check, please contact our Customer Finance Team on 0800 953 0213.

What should I do if I’m struggling to pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay your rent you should contact us as soon as possible.  We do want to help, but can only offer assistance and advice if we know what the problem is.

Our Rent Recovery Officers want to work with you to agree an affordable repayment plan to clear your arrears.  They will assess your circumstances, and provide advice in relation to your situation.  They may refer you to our dedicated Tenancy Support Team who are at hand to provide the following assistance:

  • Free welfare benefit health check to ensure you are receiving all the money you are entitled to
  • Support to those customers who may need assistance to complete benefit forms
  • Extensive debt advice provided by a fully qualified Debt Counsellor
  • Identify whether you are entitled to any grants towards utility debt or to supply household items
  • Advice on how to cut your energy bills and supply energy saving devise (where appropriate)
  • Provide a ‘one off’ food parcel if you are really struggling.
Designed and produced by Design Force